How to Choose a Massage Therapy Course near Vinita OK
Picking the right massage therapy school near Vinita OK is an important first step to beginning a rewarding first or second career as a massage therapist. After all, who wouldn’t want to work in an occupation where the sole purpose is to help people feel and function better? Massage therapists can work in a wide variety of locations, including hospitals, day spas, health clubs and even aboard cruise ships! But before starting a career in this specialty of holistic healthcare, receiving the proper training and licensing is a must. And keep in mind that not all massage therapy programs are alike. When making your evaluations, it’s important that you look at all aspects of the schools you are considering and not just the cost or convenience of the locations. We will provide some basic tips that you should incorporate into your due diligence process when selecting a massage therapist school.
What is Massage Therapy?
As mentioned in the introduction, massage therapy is a holistic form of healthcare in Vinita OK that helps people feel and function better. The massage therapist manipulates skin, muscles and tissue to reduce stress and relieve tension and pain in their patients. Swedish, or Classic Massage, is the type of massage that most people think of when discussing massage therapy, and most massage therapy schools teach it as their primary form of massage. However, there are many other types of massage that programs may or may not include within their course of instruction. Following are just a few examples.
- Neuromuscular Therapy Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Sports Massage
- Shiatsu Massage
- Thai Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
Professionals that work in massage therapy in Vinita OK should be referred to as massage therapists. From time to time one may hear them called a masseuse or a masseur, which refers to a female or a male massage practitioner. However, these terms generally carry a negative connotation among the general public and professionals alike and should be avoided.
Massage Therapy Education Requirements
Most schools offering massage therapy require that the enrollee have a high school diploma or its equivalent to qualify. Programs can range in length from several months for a Certificate or a Diploma to as long as two years for an Associate’s Degree. The lengths of the programs will also vary by State based on the number of hours required for licensing. Another factor that may also influence the program length is whether classes are offered in Vinita OK during the day or in the evening. Also, an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy may have general education requirements and are often transferable into a related Bachelor’s Degree Program. Once you have received your Certificate or Degree, the education does not end there. The amount and type of continuing education you will need to complete will depend on the State where you are licensed. Some states require both a certain number of hours of continuing education as well as specific education in subjects such as HIPAA compliance or ethics.
Massage Therapist Licensing
Once you have graduated from an accredited massage therapy school, you will then need to become licensed in the State where you will be practicing. The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), is a test controlled and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and is required by most States as part of the licensing process. Some States have their own or additional exams, so check with your State prior to enrolling in a massage therapy program. If you do not pass the MBLEx in the first attempt, you can take it again after 30 days but must pay an additional exam fee. Once licensed, you will need to maintain it in most states, which means paying a renewal fee and satisfying renewal requirements. As previously mentioned, renewal typically requires a certain number of hours of continuing education be completed. And if you should move to another State, you will need to get licensed in that new State as well. Every State regulates massage therapy differently, so it is not safe to assume that you will automatically qualify for licensing. Check with your new State before moving to confirm that you meet the requirements to legally practice there.
Questions to Ask Massage Therapist Courses
Before you choose a massage therapist program, there are some important questions that you need to ask about the programs you are considering. As previously mentioned, the location of the school is important, particularly if you will be commuting to classes from Vinita OK. And of course the total cost, including tuition, books and all training materials will also be an important factor. But beyond those basic qualifications, following are some questions you should ask so that you have all of the facts before picking a massage therapist degree program.
- Is the School Accredited? Accreditation may be required for licensing as well as student loans or financial aid. It also helps to ensure that the program meets acceptable levels of quality. Some Vinita OK employers also prefer job candidates from accredited schools.
- Does their Curriculum Comply with EALP Standards? Entry-Level Analysis Project (EALP) standards were created by an association of massage organizations to define minimum standards for preparing massage school graduates for entry-level professional work.
- What Massage Therapy Programs are Available? Find out if the type of program you are interested in is available, such as an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy. Also, if you need to attend evening classes near Vinita OK make sure that they are offered as well.
- What Types of Massage Therapy are Taught? As previously mentioned, most massage therapy schools teach Swedish Massage. However, the better programs include multiple types of massage therapy. Make sure that the program you choose includes those you are most interested in.
- Is Financial Aid Available? To qualify for federal financial aid or a student loan, the school will need to be accredited by a national accrediting organization. Find out from the schools you are considering what they offer in aid or if they assist students in obtaining funding from other sources.
- How Long has the School Existed? One indication that a school provides a quality education is longevity. However, all schools had to start from day one, and many fine schools are relatively new. So use this as one of several qualifications when comparing schools.
- Does the School have a Job Placement Program? Find out if the schools have job placement programs and what their placement rates are. Ask if they assist with such skills as how to interview for a position and how to prepare a resume.
- Is Plenty of Hands-On Training Provided? This includes classroom training as well as placement in internship programs. The best massage therapy schools make sure that students have plenty of time to practice what they learn so they can develop their skills and be corrected when necessary.
- What is the Background of the Faculty? Find out what the experience and credentials are of the teaching faculty. Speaking with schools’ faculty in person can also provide valuable information. Before applying, arrange to take a tour of the school and talk with staff members and students if permissible. Schools may also have Open House events for prospective students.
Looking for Massage Therapy Schools Near Vinita OK?
Perhaps you live near Vinita Oklahoma or will commute to a massage therapist program in that area. Either way, you may find the following background information about the location of your new school both interesting and informative.
Vinita is a city in south-central Craig County, in northeastern Oklahoma, United States. It is the county seat of Craig County. As of the 2010 census, the population was 5,743, a decrease of 11.22 percent from 6,469 at the 2000 census.
Vinita was established in 1871 by Elias Cornelius Boudinot. In 1889, gunman and lawman Tom Threepersons was born there. It was the first city in the state with electricity. The city was first named "Downingville", and was a primarily Native American community. It was later renamed "Vinita" after Boudinot's friend, sculptor Vinnie Ream. The city was incorporated in Indian Territory in 1898.
The First National Bank opened in 1892, and the local Masonic Lodge was founded in 1894. Newspapers founded before the turn of the 20th Century included Vinita Indian Chieftain (1882), Vinita Leader (1885) and the Daily Indian Chieftain (1899). The Vinita Daily Journal began publication in 1907 and has continued into the 21st Century.
Choose the Right Massage Therapist School near Vinita OK
Good luck as you embark on your journey to begin a career as a professional massage therapist. As with all things worth achieving, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed. And by following the suggestions contained within this article, you will have an excellent opportunity for success by choosing the right school and training program. With the right education you will soon become a professional massage therapist servicing the Vinita Oklahoma area.
More Relaxing Locations in Oklahoma
Bing: Oklahoma Massage Therapy Schools Search results
Massage Therapy Schools in Oklahoma - For Your Massage Needs
Massage Therapy Schools in Oklahoma. Below is a list of some of the top massage therapy schools in Oklahoma. Take a browse or for a more up-to-date list by ZIP code use the box above. You’ll find schools in all the major cities, like Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Norman, Broken Arrow, Lawton, Edmond, and more.
Oklahoma State Board of Cosmetology - Massage Therapy
Copy of current liability insurance for practice as a massage therapist (copy of current professional liability policy is acceptable) Copy of a certificate and transcript of completion from a state licensed massage school showing completion of at least 500 hours of formal education in a massage therapy school.
Massage Therapy Schools in Oklahoma Listed By City
Massage Therapy Schools in Oklahoma. Start Your Massage Therapy Education in Oklahoma. Interested in attending massage therapy school? If you’re trying to find a top massage school in Oklahoma, check out the selected campuses below for more information.. Nicknamed the “Sooner State,” Oklahoma is known for being kind and friendly.
Massage Therapy Schools Oklahoma | Massage College ...
At Integrated Massage Therapy College we show our students the inner workings of the massage therapy field. The College has a full working clinic that allows students to get exposure to the massage industry from their first day of school to their last. The massage teaching staff includes massage therapists working and staying informed on all ...
Oklahoma State Massage Therapy 2019 Board Regulation Resources
Oklahoma Massage Schools - A list of massage schools in Oklahoma . The Massage Therapy Practice Act enforces a minimum of 500 hours in a state approved course curriculum and a passing score on the MBLEx (Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination) governed by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB).
Oklahoma Massage Schools, Requirements & Licensing
With drive and passion, you can reach all of your goals as a massage therapist in the state of Oklahoma. Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Oklahoma. Brief Summary of the Main Highlights. Because Oklahoma does not require you to become a licensed massage therapist under the state.
Massage Schools in Oklahoma | About Massage School in OK
Massage Therapy Schools in Oklahoma. In Oklahoma, the ‘grandfathering period’ for massage therapy licensing has ended. If a person is going to be a massage therapist, he or she needs approved education!
Massage Schools in Oklahoma, OK Massage Therapy Colleges
Massage therapy school graduates in Oklahoma have seen success in health care and spas. Whether your career goal is to travel around the world on a cruise ship, work for yourself in a private practice, or work as a massage therapist with doctors, clinics, spas and resorts.
Massage College | Oklahoma College of Massage Therapy ...
OCMT is a massage college in Oklahoma, we prepare massage students to enter the career of massage therapy and offer clinical massages at the school.
Accredited Massage Therapy Schools in Oklahoma
Oklahoma Massage Therapy Schools Find a local licensed massage therapy training program at an accredited massage school or medical trade school in Oklahoma. Accredited schools have financial aid assistance for students who qualify.